News-jacking is the art of injecting your brand DNA in breaking news stories! and it’s super fun! :) Case in point #UdtaPunjab
So Delhi launched the #OddEven formula to deal with rising pollution problem in the city. Trending all week, here’s what we thought. When it comes to bollywood, we’re all fans :) Here’s how it did on Facebook
‘News-jacking’ is the art of injecting ideas (with your brand DNA) into news stories, creating kick-ass content and riding media coverage plus social engagement. What started on a Friday evening, came full circle with coverage on NDTV’s homepage on the D-Day! :)
Idea & Execution
We had the hindu festival of Dussehra coming up in a few days. The popular mythology around Dussehra is the victory of god Rama over the ‘ten-headed’ demon king Ravana. After countless ideas and brainstorm droppings, our hunt was to find brand DNA match to News-jack this.
So came the simple idea to turn the central character of the festival on its head! We re-imagined Ravana (the ten-headed demon king), as if he were alive today, and put him in everyday situations, creating cool graphics for a Facebook Album. There’s always an urgency of a news-room when we’re working on topical content: Move Fast and Execute! And when it’s ready, distribute like crazy. Distribution is half the game, after you’ve cracked the idea and content. From Facebook post, internal promotion to blogger outreach in the beginning.
Got a ping from a friend on WhatsApp that NDTV had picked up our post and it had made it to their homepage. Phew! Happy Dussehra!
- NDTV did a full story on the post, and embedded the images directly from the Facebook Album (good for distribution)
- They posted on their Facebook page among 5.5 million fans
- They Tweeted to their 5 million followers
- All organic :)
Spending money is easy, getting there with an idea and kick-ass execution is Startup Swag!
With the annual hindu festival of Rakshabandhan (Rakhi) this weekend, what better way to celebrate then to pull off a classic News-jack. Content Marketing can be so much fun.. from brainstorming, designing to finally hitting that post button. Two hours of madness to pull off topical content, with urgency of a news channel! ;) Here’s the Facebook link
What this guy did on Rakhi will blow your mind (lol)
News-jacking is the practice of injecting your ideas into a breaking news story and generating of social media coverage and engagement.
Pointers to crack News-jacking
- Act Fast: Trending topics don’t last forever, start to finish in 2 hours.
- Brand DNA: What’s the point if the brand ain’t relevant in your post.
- Break the chaos: Think outside the box, like way outside sometimes ;)
- Distribute, Distribute, Distribute: Initial seeding super important!
- Make it share-worthy: We reject 90% ideas trying to answer this question: “Why would anyone share it?”
- Keep it short and simple: Human attention span is at the lowest ever, and you’re fighting through overwhelming content density
- Don’t make an Ad! Like paste this on your wall!
First 24 Hours – Half a million reach (organic)
If Tom Cruise was an Indian traveller. Mission Impossible – Rogue Nation, releases today, what better way to celebrate, than creating content around it. (@ ixigo)